The other night I heard Brian telling Corinne that her behavior was UNACCEPTABLE.
At 16 months, I'm sure she understood. Because she is gifted.
But it got me thinking about what is acceptable and unacceptable in our house.
If I had to make a list, and idealism was okay, it would look like this:
- Mismatched shoes
- Mismatched socks
- Making messes
- Talking about any bodily function
- Texting to practice spelling
- Breaking things by accident
- Dropping a raw egg when trying to help cook
- Forgetting details
- Making mistakes
- Asking any question, even if you are scared of the answer
- Being intentionally unkind
- Laughing at others when nothing is funny and you are just being mean
- Being a bully
- Wasting food to win a power struggle with your parents
- Making fun of anyone
- Keeping tally of someone's fortunes and misfortunes
- Not contributing to the family
- Pure, debilitating selfishness
It was so helpful, clarifying really, to make this list. If you make one for your home, let me know...