Thursday, May 10, 2012

Bonefied


One of our assignments in Drawing II was a 3 part abstraction.

First, we were to draw a 18x24" photo-realistic graphite drawing of a part of a skeleton.
For some reason, I chose the bum area. I didn't realize it until later. Mostly because I am fascinated with the pelvis and hips (hello, yoga) and the front view of the skeleton was taken by 3 other students. So I got the bum.

Second, we were supposed to abstract the first drawing somehow. I went with geometric shapes. I was interested in what the pelvic region and hanging hands would look like as basic shapes with gradient shading (all graphite).

Third, we were supposed to abstract the second drawing into something more abstract.  So I went with energy centers. I chose five points where bones articulate that often give people pain: sacrum to L5, base of the thumbs, hip sockets. I drew circles around the articulation points and made those points very light in value. Then I made ripple circles around those points of light/pain, making each consecutive circle darker. Weird. Abstract. But again, hello yoga, breathe into your pain.

Looking back, I appreciate each level of this exercise. 18 x 24 gets bigger every time you abstract it...and it was the first time I can recall that I used an entire pencil up - start to finish - TWICE.  That's a good feeling.  Like at the end of the day when you take off all your clothes and have to wash everything you wore. You used every bit up.
I like living like that.
Bonefied, indeed.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yr drawing skills are bonefied!!

Mer said...

Oh my - that was awesome. the realistic one, first, looked like a textbook - whoa.

Stewart said...

Get the hips right and the rest of the body flows all natural like. Like you. a real natural. love you

amber said...

wow, you are so amazing...gifted..incredible. these are beautiful and so creative. love you.

Kacy said...

Your art is awesome! I want to be just like you when I grow up!

Kacy said...

Your art is awesome! I want to be just like you when I grow up!