Sunday, July 15, 2018

Dear Donna at the TrakShak

Dear Donna at the TrakShak,

I walked in with a gift card to buy new running shoes.
You asked what kind of shoe was I looking for.
I said cute ones.
You said, that's not how this works. Take off your shoes and walk across the room, let me look at your feet.

So I did. You suggested three shoes, went and got them, and I tried them on.
One pair felt like I was walking on clouds, another felt like I was walking on pillows, and the third felt like little angels rubbing my feet while they sang encouraging running songs.
I picked the angels.

All of that was awesome, but here is the real magical part:
I was born with flat, narrow feet leading to a tendency to pronate (ankles sinking inward) when standing, walking or running. I was also born with no desire to run fast.


I took some ballet classes in college and learned to slowly strengthen the muscles in my feet. Then I started studying yoga, and learned about the Deep Front Line (DFL) which starts at the arch of the foot.
The DFL is in inner network of muscles and connective tissue that moves from the arches of the feet up the inside of the legs, through the inside of the torso, middle of the neck and out the tip of the tongue. Learning how to activate, energize and strengthen the middle of the body invites symmetry and balance to the arms, legs and head. It truly is magical.
(More info here: Anatomy Trains, and here, along with training under Melissa Scott and classes with Jasper Elliott Wolf.)

Back to the shoes. I have never worn the style of shoes I bought from you, Donna, because I was always a flat-footed-over-pronator. Now I am a flat footed, semi-strong arch, non-pronator. My feet changed through strengthening the DFL!

Of course I didn't tell you all of this at the time because you were so nice selling me shoes and I was an easy customer who did not care to shop around.

You said I was the easiest customer of the day.
I say you are the nicest employee at the TrakShak.

Also, thank you for putting my new box of angel shoes in a reusable tote bag. Now that my feet are stronger, I join you in saving the world with fewer plastic bags.

Thanks again, Donna.

Namaste,
Mollie

No comments: