Monday, July 23, 2018

In McAllen, The Night Before

21 julio 2018

Dear Señora,

We made it to McAllen, TX...after a few hiccups.


Remember that year, Spring Break in 1994, when we went to Cuérnavaca and stayed with host families? Then the kids from those families came to Birmingham the next week to stay with us? And their flights landed in Birmingham before ours left México? 

Today was a little like that.

We had a flight delay, then cancel, then rebook, then delay again. Our housing arrangements fell through.
I couldn’t rent the rental car with a debit card, so Rachel rented it with a credit card. Then we couldn't find the car. Then I couldn't find Rachel.
Then it all worked out.
We are safe and weary, and still laughing and hopeful for tomorrow.


-->


I have been here two hours and already heard so much casual Spanish. It’s as if a sleeping rhythm inside me is creeping awake. I love this feeling.

What stories will we hear tomorrow?

Who will we meet?



Will we actually help or will we be in the way?
Will I understand when someone speaks to me?
Mas despacio, por favor...C
ómo se dice...Otra vez...

I will sleep now. Thank you, Señora.

Con cariño,
Mollie




***A list of items to send to the Catholic Respite Center coming soon. They need a bigger facility and are currently accepting donations towards the building so they can serve more people in need:


http://sacredheartchurch-mcallen.org/immigrant-assistance/donate-now/







--> --> --> --> -->

No comments: