Thursday, September 10, 2009

Don't Bite The Hand



I have been laughing in surprise and amusement at the similarities and differences in domesticating a puppy and domesticating small humans.

I find myself thinking (and saying) often, "Don't bite the hand that feeds you, dude."
That goes for both children and the pet.

Shug has been such a welcomed addition to our family. I love taking care of her while the kids are at school (my own weaning process, I'm sure) but I also love that I can crate her and go to the store by myself for an hour. I promise I never did that with the humans.

She also requires that the kids shut their doors completely during "quiet time" in the afternoons since she loves the taste of army men and paper dolls. The unexpected benefit is that when their doors are closed, they actually rest.



Also, if the kids run in the house, Shug considers that an invitation to chase and play and bite their behinds. Aha! Less running in the house.

There are new phrases that I would have never predicted could get such a response out of me such as:

"Moooooom, I just stepped in Sugar's tee tee!"

and

"Moooooom, Sugar has the remote control again!"

and

"Moooooom, she's eating leaves again!"



Overall, I have to say that it has been a fun introduction to owning a puppy...and we are on day 3 of no accidents in the house. Sweet.

4 comments:

leta joy said...

She's adorable. I still can't believe you have a dog.

Beth said...

After spending 2 nights with the Shug, I must say she is the cutest thing ever and very well behaved for a pup. I've even forgiven her for the hot tea burn on my tummy.

iMollie said...

L - I can't believe it either. She's awesome. B-thanks for forgiving her for the tea incident.

Sarah Gardner said...

I cannot get over how adorable she is!