Saturday, December 20, 2008

School Days

We successfully completed our first semester of preschool.

As I have lamented to many of you, the learning curve of Preschool Momhood was steeper than I thought.
I have not made friends with any of the other moms yet, and I thought that would happen more naturally, without so much nervous effort.
I have, however, forgotten show-and-tell items almost every time (Henry now reminds me on Wednesdays) and I have forgotten the snacks for the class when Svea is Leader for the Day.
A teacher has also asked me, "So what exactly goes on at your house?"


I definitely laugh out loud at the posters and lists of events that Henry's teacher posts outside of his classroom. His teacher, and all of his classmates have been so patient and accepting of Henry's obsession with sports, particularly football. He's learning to branch out to dinosaurs and painting, but only occasionally.



The Halloween Parade was of course a hit, as was the Thanksgiving Feast and the Christmas Program (pics to come on that one).







As I was learning the ropes around the hallway, a few times Brian would come or do the drop-off completely, cousin Reggie came once, as did my brother, Uncle Johnnie when he was in town.
You should know that Uncle Johnnie has a way of charming people without effort, without intention, and it is fascinating.
So he helps me with the drop-off and pick-up for a few days and all the teachers FALL IN LOVE WITH HIM. So annoying.

First Svea's teacher flirts with him about "who is buying breakfast" etc. and I'm all, "What the what?" and Uncle Johnnie is oblivious. So the next day she's all, "where do you live?" and "OH MY that's so far away!! hee hee hee what brings you HERE?" and "omigosh and you teach ART?"
Then the next week, she tells me that the 5-year-old class teacher across the hall had just come over and asked who he was and what he was about. Again, what the what?



There's this sweet little girl in Henry's class, Alana, who keeps making art for Henry. First it was this field:




And then this picture of them standing next to each other:



Then the last day of school, she designed an invitation to a tea party for just Henry.

Maybe he got more than just his athletic ability from Uncle Johnnie.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This may be the most awesome post ever. I laughed out loud multiple times. What Henry would want the dinosaurs to do, the teachers all hitting on John Stewart, the "what the what?" (EXCELLENT use, btw), the sweet artwork from sweet Alana. You literally warmed my heart.

Anonymous said...

i completely agree...i am smiling ear to ear over here! YES you understand completely uncle johnnie's magic! it is like he has an invisible force field around him that charmanizes (yes, im allowed to use this word b/c i have a phd) anyone in the vicinity...amazing. amasing. ah-mazing. and i am so pleased that our little football star a) wants to invite the dinosaurs to play football and b) has the gift of charmanation which CLEARLY runs in the family.

love you!
xx
Dr Braniac