Sunday, April 26, 2009

Okagesama

I've been thinking about conjuring a little gratitude in my daily life.
In thinking about it (which is typically a long process before actually doing it), I came across the Japanese word Okagesama (sometimes Okagesama de) which translates into several phrases expressing gratitude in English.

A simple google will teach you that Okagesama can mean one of the following:

Thanks to...
Thanks to the shadow of...
I'm fine, thanks.
I'm fine, thanks to you.
I am what I am because of you.
Thanks to you, I'm fine.
Thankfully
Thanks to God (of whatever powers that be).
Thankfully/Thanks to God, I'm fine.

A few friends and I spent a week taking pictures that met one or more of these translations. Within this simple exercise in awareness, we found a great deal of gratitude and connection.

The following posts will be what we noticed, experienced and photographed.

No comments: