Monday, March 02, 2009

Masking Simplicity

Thoughts from Jesika:

Even my most simple (and favorite) dinner of a fresh green salad, tomatoes, and green olives, drizzled with evoo and a dash of red wine vinegar, served with a bowl of durum semolina, niacin, ferrous sulfate (iron), thiamine, mononitrate, riboflavin, and folic acid tossed with evoo, the juice of a freshly squeezed lemon, parmesan cheese (pasteurized part-skim milk, salt, less than 2% of enzymes cheese culture, cellulose powder to prevent caking, pottasium sorbate to protect flavor) aged 6 months, salt and pepper, and a small warm loaf of enriched flour (wheat flour, unbleached unbromated, niacin, reduced iron, thiamin mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid), water, yeast, high fructose corn syrup, vegetable shortening (partially hydrogenated soybean, cottonseed, &/or canola oil), salt, vital wheat gluten, dextrose, datem, absorbic acid, and enzyme proved far, far, far too many ingredients both separately and in combination to make this work.

Well, okay...I did eat a banana for a snack one day.

With a glass of water.

But my single (truly) simple meal was brown rice, a fresh avocado, and a sliced Roma tomato. It was delicious! I was actually making a more complex dish, and these were my 'leftover' ingredients. But for a quick, simple dinner for one, it was satisfying and flavorful in a way I don't often experience.
As a devotee of spices and less-with-more one-dish or slow cooker recipes, I cook with a lot often - and often these are good, simple vegetables or grains or meats. But this four ingredient challenge made me realize I so often mask the simplicity of these wholesome parts in a whole that ultimately requires more time and effort in order to achieve even the verisimilitude of flavor and fulfillment as my brown rice, avocado, and tomato provided.

No comments: